In 1909, our founder, Maurice S. Johnston, got started in business on a horse-drawn milk wagon and later worked part-time for several large ice cream companies. Ever the entrepreneur, he began a repair business, tinkering with all sorts of equipment, including some of the earliest automobiles and gasoline flat irons.
In 1932 M. S. applied his knowledge of refrigeration and his mechanical aptitude to his own business, repairing and reselling refrigeration equipment from his basement at 900 Mulberry Avenue. The company moved to its current location in 1942 on the site of what was then a Mennonite farm.
In 1953 M. S. Johnston’s son, Maurice F. Johnston began working as a full time service repairman. He is the current owner and his son, Michael, is the president and COO. Today M. S. Johnston Co. is recognized regionally as a leader in its field.